I`m actually pretty happy with how this effect turned out! hehe. I saw it posted on http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/04/pretty-polish-idea/ and knew i needed to try it! I love the subtle gradient of the ombre style. hehe. This method isn`t actually as hard as it is time consuming. Becuase, you have to find similar colors then repaint the lines every time. You can see what to do on TBD`s website, with pictures of step by step, but here is my version (with my tips). You will need:
- 3-4 shades of the same color
- A dish of water
- Triangle cosmetic sponges
- A piece of paper
- A small brush, or cotton swabs
- Nail polish remover
- 1. Dip the sponge in the water, then squeeze out most of the water but make sure the sponge is still damp (so that the nailpolish doesn`t dry out.
- 2. Paint strips of your desired colors in a gradient fashion (dark on the edge, going to light as you move down the triangle sponge).
- 3. Test the color combination on a piece of paper (also to get rid of excess polish), bouncing the sponge lightly to blend.
- 4. If satisfied with the color, bounce the sponge over your nail.
- 5. Repeat 2-5 until color on nail is at your desired darkness (mine took 3 coats).
- 6. Clean up the nail polish that ends up on your skin with a small brush or cotton swabs dipped in nail polish remover.
I did a pink ombre stain (as you can see from my pictures) and used the following colors:
- Lara by Zoya
- Candy-licious/Rose Bonbon by Wet n Wild from the Megalast collection
- Shelby by Zoya
What do you think of this look? And, have you ever done the ombre stain on your nails? :3 Pictures are mine, please do not take!