Monastary of Santa Clara Coimbra

4 years ago

Refounded in 1314 by Queen Isabel of Aragon, the Monastery of Santa Clara soon became one of the most emblematic works of the kingdom, the accounting major architect Domingo Domingues.
The church was consecrated in 1330, but the very next year, there was the first flood of the complex.
The other monastic dependencies were built in parallel with the floods and, in sec. XVI, of continually rising water levels forced the abandonment of the site, moving the nuns to the Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Nova.
Archaeological excavations began in 1995 allowing the identification of the ruins of the cloister and many other materials.

Source link:

Follow Luuux

Related Posts

Trending Places