Thank you for helping us by reporting bad content.
1. For this tutorial, Im just using two colors of icing, but you could easily use three (or even four if youre feeling wild) different colors for a really cool rainbow effect. You can also play around with flavors, using different types of icing or adding different flavors to a something like our Perfect Cupcake Frosting and Filling. Chocolate and caramel, chocolate and peanut butter, chocolate and orange, orange and lemon, vanilla and almond, vanilla and peppermint, peppermint and chocolateyouve pretty much got unlimited options.
Youll need icing, disposable decorating bags (one for each color and then one more to fit them all into), and a large decorating tip (like this, this, or this) and a large coupler.
2. The most basic thing to remember is that no matter how many different colors youre using, you dont want the final bag to be too full. So if Im using two colors, Ill fill each color bag a little less than 1/2 full with icing. If I were using 3, Id fill them a little less than 1/3 full, and for 4, a little less than 1/4 full. Make sense?
3. After youve filled your bags, flatten them out and stack them on top of each other
4. and then trim 1/2 inch or so off the tip of each bag and slip them into the bag fitted with the decorating tip.
5. Firmly squeeze the bag until youre getting equal parts of each icing from the tip. I will say that its a little trickier if youre using two different types of icing (like I am here) than if you use different colors of the same icing (like Sara did). If you do use two different types of icing, try to make sure theyre roughly the same consistency before icing your cupcakes, even if it means popping a softer icing into the freezer for a few minutes.
To ice your cupcakes, hold the tip close to the top of the cupcake. Using firm, steady pressure, squeeze the icing bag, starting in the center of the cupcake and moving around the edges of the cupcake and then one more swirl on top, moving back towards the center. I actually had a video tutorial of this at one point, but Dropshots spontaneously deleted all my pictures and videos (yes, Dropshots, Im totally calling you out, jerks!), so Ill try and get another one up today because its not nearly as complicated as it sounds.
6. Prepare yourself for oohs and aahs. And perhaps squealing. Also, your kids (and your spouseand his/her co-workers) will think youre a rock star.