Thank you for helping us by reporting bad content.
I`ve been baking a lot recently and I don`t plan on stopping anytime soon. Today I made some plain bagels. I usually get my bagels form Costco but everytime I go there and get it, I see that their sell by dates is 2 days later which means I usually end up throwing half of it away. So I decided to make my own fresh bagels. I decided on making the plain ones first since this was the first time making it. Taste wise, I am really impressed. Presentation wise, I think I need to make them more round and smoother. With this recipe I`m about to share, you can use a bread machine, electric stand mixer or even your hands. So let`s get started shall we.
2 1/8 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 Tbs cornmeal
1 egg white
3 Tbs poppy seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough setting. If you don`t have a bread machine, you can use an electric stand mixer or knead by hand.
2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 Tbs sugar.
3. Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover the bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 min.
4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until well browned.
Hope you try this out and tell me what you think.
**pictures belong to me, can`t use without permission**