I recently stumbled across a food blog called http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com, which features healthified sweets. It`s awesome! You`d be surprised at the kind of desserts (and breakfasts!) that you can make that taste good but are really healthy. When I saw a recipe for a http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/02/27/peanut-butter-jelly-milkshake/, I knew I had to try it! Here`s the recipe from Chocolate-Covered Katie (along with my notes):
- -> 1 cup frozen strawberries, or other berries (150g) (I used a mixture of frozen mango, blueberries, and raspberries)
- -> 3/4 cup milk of choice (or canned coconut milk, for a super-rich shake) (I used almond milk
- -> 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- -> 2 T peanut flour or peanut butter (or other nut butter) (I used 3 tbsp of natural, smooth peanut butter)
- -> 1/16 tsp salt
- -> sweetener of choice (amount will depend on your tastes and the type of milk you use) (I didn`t use any added sweetener
To make this milkshake/smoothie, you just blend all the ingredients together in a blender, and you`re done! This recipe makes one serving. :) What can I say...I loved this smoothie! I`ve made peanut butter banana smoothies before, but never a peanut butter and jelly smoothie. It tasted AWESOME - it was oddly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! I think the vanilla is what really made it taste great. I would never have thought to put vanilla extract in a smoothie, as I really only use it for baking. But it does add a sweetness to the smoothie without actually adding any sweetener. I know the idea might seem weird to some people, but it tastes so good - I`d definitely recommend this recipe! I`m going to make this again tomorrow, I think. It makes for a nice breakfast. :) What is your favourite smoothie or milkshake flavour?
***Photo is my own; please do not take.