This is a bit of a belated Valentine`s post, as I made these molten lava cakes for V-day! They were actually a bit simpler to make than I thought they would be. :) I used a recipe from Paula Deen (which you can find http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/molten-lava-cakes-recipe/index.html), though I adapted it slightly. Here`s what I used to make these molten lava cakes:
- 8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp margarine (you should use butter if you have it - it tastes better!)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dark rum (you can use any liqueur you like - the original recipe called for Grand Marnier
...and here`s how I made them!
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Grease 4 medium-sized ramekins/custard cups.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave (it took me about 1 min. Stir to blend until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the flour and sugar to the melted chocolate and butter, and stir till just combined.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, stir until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and rum.
- Bake for approximately 14 minutes.
- Run a knife along the edges of the ramekins, and flip the cake out onto a plate.
- Enjoy! =)
These molten lava cakes were pretty delicious! The rum actually went quite well with the chocolate. :) I did over cook them just a tiny bit, as I think the inside was supposed to be runnier. In any case, I think I did a pretty good job for my first time. I think I will be making these again! Have you ever had a molten lava cake?
***Photos are my own; please do not take. Recipe adapted from source link below.