Thank you for helping us by reporting bad content.
It`s a New Year and I`m sure one of everyone`s resolutions is to eat healthier and overall have a healthier lifestyle right? For me, it is so let`s see how long this resolution will last!
Tonight, my boyfriend and I went to Sprouts to buy some last minute ingredients to make homemade chicken tortilla soup for dinner. The recipe I used is courtesy of Danny Boome from Food Network. (Full recipe linked below).
Ingredients you will need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (We didn`t have any vegetable oil so we used olive oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (We used 2 cloves)
- 2 jalapeños, finely diced (We used 1 jalapeño)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (We used 5 roma tomatoes)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (We used 2 organic boneless/skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves (I thought I had some at home but turned out we didn`t so we didn`t include cilantro in our soup)
- 1 (8-inch) flour tortilla, grilled, cut into thin strips (For a healthier option we skipped the flour tortillas and bought Late July Organic Mild Green Mojo Multigrain Tortilla Chips plus we didn`t want to buy flour tortilla and end up having a lot extra to go to a waste!)
- 1 avocado, pitted, sliced (We cut up 2 avocados)
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey cheese (We sprinkled a little bit of cheese in each of our soups only)
As you can see from the recipe, we made a lot of changes from the standard ingredients which is why our soup was a little off but definitely eatable. Our soup was more watery and it`s probably because we used fresh roma tomatoes instead of the can fire roasted diced tomatoes.
In a large saucepan (we used a pot) heat your oil. Add in the onions and cook until onions soften which is about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeños and cook for another minute. Pour in your chicken broth, tomatoes and canned beans and bring to a boil. Once your soup is boiling lower heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. For the chicken breast, we washed the breast with salt and cleaned access fat then add to pot. Cook the chicken for 20 to 25 minutes. We cooked ours for 23 minutes and removed chicken breasts from pot. While chicken breast are cooling you can add/squeeze lime juice and add fresh cilantro (but we didn`t have any cilantro). Once chicken breast are cooled, shred chicken in pieces. When ready to serve, add your shredded chicken into a bowl, cheese, pour in your soup and top off with avocado pieces and tortilla strips (in my case chips) then enjoy!
Overall: The soup didn`t taste like how chicken tortilla soup we normally have when bought at a restaurant, but more of a healthier vibe which we are accepting. We added a little bit too much lime but other than that it wasn`t that bad. This recipe yields 4 to 6 and my boyfriend and I had half, so my parents ate the remaining and thought it was pretty decent for our first attempts. However is this a recipe we would try again? Probably not - I would opt the beans and use corn instead next time.
Are you a fan of Chicken Tortilla Soup? Do you have a recipe that you follow and would recommend? I am looking for more recipes that aren`t very time consuming. I wanted to make chicken noodle soup but the estimated cooking time is way too long since we`re both busy.
(Photo belongs to me!)