Thank you for helping us by reporting bad content.
Hi everyone! Here is a First Impressions review on the new Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch Foundation that has been popping up at drugstores recently.
Price & Availability:
- About $9-$11 depending on where you purchase
- Will eventually be available wherever Maybelline products are sold (permanent)
Shade & Finish:
- I purchased the shade `40 Nude,` which is a good match for my NC25 skin
- Finish is natural - not dewy or matte
- Light, slightly buildable but won`t cover major imperfections
- Glass bottle
- Teardrop shaped plastic applicator (picture #4)
- 20mL/0.67 fluid ounces (typical foundations have 1 fluid ounce, so this is 2/3 of the usual amount)
How to apply:
- Shake well
- Drip foundation onto fingertips and apply to face
- Some SPF protection (SPF 20)
- Natural finish
- Dries down to feel like you`re wearing a powder foundation
- Difficult to tell the shade/undertone without opening up the bottle
- Color range for darker complexions is limited
- Glass bottle
- Coverage: I typically like medium coverage so I can build up for more in areas where it`s needed, or sheer it out for lighter days
- Applies best with fingers: I prefer brushes
- Teardrop applicator: the foundation itself is runny, but not so runny that it will slide off the applicator when you`re trying to apply it to your finger. Good and bad thing: will apply easily to face, but you may have to touch the applicator to your finger to get it on there in the first place. In short, the application process is messy and not my favorite.
- Doesn`t have a full fluid ounce, so it`s pretty expensive if you buy it for $11 (Target has it for $9)
- Not safety sealed: You can open it up to check the shade and undertone, but you don`t know if others have done the same or worse.
Since this is a first impressions review, it won`t be as in-depth as a foundation that I`ve tried over several weeks, but generally if I don`t love it the first time I try it, I won`t use it again.
While the feel of this foundation is great, (it`s warmer in the Bay Area, but it wasn`t particularly hot today), the application is a hassle. I would use the applicator to put it on my finger, and then hold the applicator outside of the bottle because I didn`t want to grab more product, but the foundation would drip all over the place. It took me about an hour to do my makeup today, and most of that time was spent trying to get this foundation on my face. That was the deal breaker for me.
This foundation applies better with fingers, as you can get a little more coverage out of it. I did try it with a brush and the brush seemed to just soak up what little product there was on the mixing palette I used.
As far as wear, I did set the foundation with a loose powder and have been wearing it for about 5 hours and so far it still looks really good. Usually after two hours the oils on my nose will start to break through the foundation, but this one has held up nicely. I noticed this foundation didn`t break down around the creases of my nose as much as other foundations, which is surprising, but maybe I didn`t get a lot of foundation in that area since I used my fingers.
(I just blotted my nose to see if that made a difference, and it only slightly mattified my nose and there wasn`t much color transfer to the white tissue.)
I was really intrigued by the applicator and hoped this would compare to the Physicians Formula Youthful Wear foundation, which is also a runny liquid to powder type foundation which I actually love. That foundation comes with a drop applicator, which I thought was cumbersome, but is actually a greater delivery system than Maybelline`s teardrop applicator. It allows you to have greater control in the amount of product you dispense, plus the foundation offers more coverage.
I would only suggest this foundation if you have the patience for this application system, have only minor imperfections/redness and can get this product on sale. If Maybelline changed the applicator for this product into something more practical, instead of gimmicky, this one might have become a great daily use foundation.
Thanks for reading! Have you tried out this new foundation? What did you think of it?
All images and content are my own. Please do not use or take without permission.
Come check out my blog sale: http://seralina.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-sale.html
(Recently added: the Maybelline Color Tattoos from the summer 2014 Bleached Neons collection!)