Blackburn 0-1 Wigan: Rovers relegated to Championship as late Alcaraz winner confirms Latics` Premier League survival

4 years ago

The defenders late header ends Blackburns 11-year spell in the top flight of English football as the Latics seal their survival.
A late header from Antolin Alcaraz proved the difference as Wigan overcame Blackburn at Ewood Park to save the club`s Premier League status and relegates Rovers to the Championship.

The visitors largely dominated the match but Blackburn was frustrated not to be awarded a second-half penalty for a foul on Junior Hoilett.

Fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle in further opposition to the clubs management and owners on a night of protest at Ewood Park.

With Rovers knowing that only a win would suffice, Steve Kean made two changes to his side that lost 2-0 at Tottenham. Martin Olsson replaced his brother Marcus at left back, while striker Anthony Modeste came in for Mauro Formica in a more attacking lineup.

Unsurprisingly Wigan was unchanged from its incredible 4-0 win over Newcastle and knew that a point would all but secure its Premier League survival.

It was a frantic start from the hosts as the cries rang out from the Ewood Park faithful venting their anger towards both manager Kean and the clubs owners.

The games first opportunity went to the visitors. David Dunn had possession stolen from him by Shaun Maloney who fed in Victor Moses, but his effort flew well over the bar.

In the strangest of twists the game was paused when a chicken was let loose onto the pitch; a strong visual protest from the Rovers fans to match the chorus of boos.

Wigan continued to press and Paul Robinson produced a smart save to deny Franco Di Santo. Moses provided the assist but Robinson got down to his left and Gael Givet cleared the danger.

However Blackburn responded well and created a chance of its own soon after. Yakubus knockdown fell to Anthony Modeste outside the box, but his sliced volley went narrowly over.

With Ben Watson pulling the strings in midfield Wigan continued to dominate the home side which began to sit deeper and deeper. The pace of Moses again had Blackburn reeling, Scott Dann couldnt stop the winger who coasted into the area but from a tight angle shot straight at Robinson.

The visitors frustrations continued. Maloney sent a free kick deep to the far post which Gary Caldwell nodded back across goal. However Watson, in trying to control the ball, took it out of the path of Moses.

Wigan was once again wasteful shortly before halftime when Moses made a mess of his free header, nodding it back to where it came from. Di Santo had whipped in an inch perfect cross that Dann misjudged but Moses couldnt capitalise.

Blackburn was equally wasteful with its ventures into the Wigan half though. A free kick on the right-hand side was hit hard and wide by Morten Gamst Pedersen and out of reach of the large contingent of his team mates that had crowded the area.

After the break Rovers began the brighter and Pedersens rasping shot from the left went just over after a fantastic long ball from substitute Radosav Petrovic.

However Wigan was soon on the front foot, shots from Jean Beausejour and James McCarthy though didnt trouble Robinson.

Rovers best chance came minutes later. Dann towered above his defender to head across to Yakubu but he couldnt keep his balance and scuffed his shot which was easily blocked.

Another chance fell to Wigan as the second half opened up. Di Santo provided the knock down to Moses but he sent his volley over from 12 yards.

The matchs most controversial moment came on the hour mark. Another header back across goal caused a scramble in the area and as Emmerson Boyce went to clear he connected only with Junior Hoilett, but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away the appeals.

They kept up the pressure knowing that their league relegation loomed and Modeste tested Al-Habsi with a powerful effort.

Source link:

Follow Luuux

Related Posts

Trending Sport-fitness