Thank you for helping us by reporting bad content.
This is the next country on my list of foods to try. Thought this looked pretty good, what do you guys think?
Albanian cuisine is primarily lamb and vegetable dishes, which does not really do it for me, but I was able to find one interesting recipe that I`d like to try with you all here.
It is a traditional Albanian dish called Byrek and it is basically a pie dish filled with meat, spinach and cheese. For this recipe though I decided to take out the meat and make this into a spinach and cheese pie, which is also common in the area.
1 cup of olive oil
30 pastry leaves of Filo Dough - usually found in the frozen section of the supermarket(I had a hard time finding them at first so I thought I`d share that!)
1 1/2 pounds spinach, chopped
1 cup diced feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Lightly coat a medium sized baking pan(a round pie pan is perfect) with the olive oil.
- Begin layering the pastry leaves by first laying two leaves and sprinkle oil on top of them.
- Then lay two more leaves, and repeat the procedure until half of the leaves are laid out. Make sure the leaves cover the pan by hanging them one inch over the edges of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, wash the spinach and chop it up finely into the bowl.
- Mix the spinach, feta cheese, oil, onions, eggs and salt together well and spread the mixture over the already laid pastry leaves
- Begin covering the mixture with the remaining pastry leaves in the same fashion as you did before
- Once everything is covered, roll the dough hanging over the edges to make a crust.
- Sprinkle olive oil on the top and put it in the over on 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until brown and enjoy!