Active Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 2 hours 30 minutesRecipe Ingredients
2 cans (16 oz each) vanilla frosting
Orange paste (gel) food color
2 frozen poundcakes (10.75 oz each), thawed
13 whole graham crackers
Tires: 6 chocolate sandwich cookies
1 regular-size candy bar, such as Milky Way, Snickers or Outrageous
Tube black decorating icing, fitted with a round tip
Lights on Cab: 5 orange M&M’s
Headlights: 2 blue nonpareil-coated licorice Allsorts
Running Boards: 2 sticks Fruit-Stripe gum
Cargo: M&M’s and crushed chocolate wafer cookies
You also need: 1 qt-size plastic freezer bag
1. Reserve 1⁄2 cup frosting for windows; tint remaining frosting orange. Spoon 1⁄3 cup into plastic bag; set aside.
2. Using orange frosting as glue, sandwich 2 whole graham crackers; repeat with 2 more crackers. Place end to end down middle of serving tray.
3. To assemble Truck: Top crackers with dabs of frosting. Cut 1 cake in half crosswise. Glue front of truck to body (B), then glue cab (C) in place. Set on stacked crackers. Brush off loose crumbs.
4. Frost windows with reserved untinted frosting. Reserve 1⁄3 cup orange frosting; frost rest of truck with remaining orange frosting. Press Tires in place.
5. To assemble Tilted Cargo Bed: Trim candy bar (D) to fit across bed; place against cab. On wax paper, using reserved frosting as glue, sandwich 4 whole graham crackers (for bottom of cargo bed). Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Set in place with 1 end resting on candy bar (D). Press 1 whole cracker (E) into frosting against each long side. Trim 3 whole crackers to 33⁄4 in. long; press 1 (F) on cargo bed next to cab; place other in unloading position in back (F). Snip tip off corner of bag with frosting; pipe a line along top of cracker (F) next to cab. Cut remaining trimmed cracker in half lengthwise; press 1 half (G) onto frosting. Pipe lines on cargo bed and outline windows on cab.
6. With black tube icing, pipe grill on cab and company name on sides. Press on cab lights, headlights and running boards.
7. Shortly before serving: Fill cargo bed with candies and crushed cookies. Before You BeginIf you don’t have the right sized serving tray, cover a baking sheet, plastic-foam board or sturdy cardboard with foil or plastic wrap. Check “You also need” in ingredients list. Use the large photos as an assembly and decorating guide. Paste (gel) food colors can be found in supermarkets or stores selling crafts or cake-decorating supplies. If the colors called for are unavailable (or not to your liking), use others. Frost and shape cake decorations on wax paper.If piping only a small amount, use snack-size ziptop bags. If you can’t find the candies used, substitute others. You’ll need a 10-in. or larger round serving platter. Tip: The cargo bed can be filled with any small candies.
Planning Tip: The animals can be decorated up to 4 days ahead. When dry, store covered in a single layer at room temperature. Cake can be decorated up to 2 days ahead. Store, loosely covered, at room temperature